Registration and License Plate Requirements

Motorcycles and scooters/mopeds must be registered with Transportation and Parking Services to be parked on campus. There is no charge to register a motorcycle, scooter, or moped and registration is easy. Click here to register. All motorized cyclists are required to have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance.

For Motorcycles

When parking on campus, motorcycles must display a valid state, or District of Columbia, issued license plate and be registered with Transportation and Parking Services. You may add your motorcycle to your existing vehicle registration at no additional cost.

Where to Park Your Motorized Cycle

For Motorcycles

If you are a motorcycle registrant with an active vehicle registration, you may park your motorcycle in your assigned parking location or in a designated motorcycle parking area. However, if you have registered a personal vehicle (car, truck, SUV, etc.) in addition to your motorcycle, you may not park both your personal vehicle and motorcycle on campus at the same time.

For Scooters and Mopeds

Scooters may park in designated motorcycle, scooter and moped parking areas. These are located in McMahon parking lot, O'Boyle parking lot, and next to Ryan Hall.

Where Not to Park Your Motorized Cycle

No Motorized Cycles Shall Be Parked, Stored Or Left In The Following Areas:

  • In an area where signs are posted indicating that motorized cycle parking is prohibited;
  • In such a manner as to block or otherwise impede normal entrance to or exit from any building on the campus;
  • On any building access or egress;
  • So as to block or impede the normal flow of traffic on any roadway, street, alley, sidewalk, mall, patio, or parking area or bicycle path on the University;
  • On any landscaped area;
  • So as to interfere with or impede the normal movement of disabled persons, pedestrians or bicyclists upon ramps, stairways or curb cuts;
  • Chained or otherwise locked, or attached to any handrail, tree, bus, door, signpost, lamp, telephone pole, lamppost, fence, bike rack, or other object not maintained or designated for the purpose of securing motorized cycles;
  • In any lobby, hallway or room of any building;
  • At any approved motorized cycle parking area between the end of spring semester and the beginning of fall semester, unless the owner is on campus and still riding the vehicle.

Motorized Cycle Impounding and Relocation

Transportation and Parking Services and the Department of Public Safety are authorized to move, relocate or impound any motorized cycle that:

  • Does not have an active registration with Transportation and Parking Services;
  • Is parked illegally (see Where Not to Park above);
  • Appears to be abandoned as evidenced by signs of disuse or neglect;
  • Has been reported stolen to any law enforcement agency.

Releasing an Impounded Scooter

To release an impounded scooter, you need to:

  • Show your State Issued ID or Student ID;
  • Pay the boot or impound fee plus any storage fees;
  • Register your motorized cycle, if applicable.

Driving Safely

District of Columbia Law classifies motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds as vehicles. All traffic laws apply to motor vehicles and motorized bicycles. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Obeying speed limits and traffic signals;
  • Lane use;
  • Turn signal use;
  • Yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks.
In addition, all motor vehicles in the District of Columbia must have a certification label that identifies the manufacturer,
the date of manufacture, and the statement: "This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) in effect on the date of manufacture shown above." (18 DMCR § 700.9)

Please wear a helmet when operating your motorcycle, moped or scooter: this is required by District of Columbia Law. All persons on the vehicle, including riders and drivers, must wear a helmet.